Calvary Children’s Center
Hourly, full-time (30-40 hrs/wk)
Summer 2017 (June 5 – August 18), with possible continuation into the school year depending on enrollment
The teacher shall prayerfully help students obtain the foundational attitudes, skills, and subject matter that will contribute to their readiness for kindergarten and life-long learning as they develop into mature, able and responsible Christians to the praise and glory of God.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities
- Reflect the purpose of the Center, which is to help young children “grow in wisdom and stature and favor with God and men” (Luke 2:52) in such a way that honors Christ in every activity.
- Lead students to a realization of their self worth in Christ.
- Cooperate with Director and Executive Team in implementing all policies, procedures and directives governing the operation of the Children’s Center.
- Teach age group as assigned following prescribed scope and sequence as scheduled by the Director.
- Integrate biblical principles and the Christian philosophy of education throughout the curriculum and activities.
- Keep proper discipline in the classroom, on Center premises and during field trips for a good learning environment.
- Maintain a clean, attractive, well-ordered classroom.
- Create lesson plans as required by the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services licensing standards and Association of Christian Teachers and Schools accreditation standards, challenging each child to grow and learn according to his/her individual needs, interests, and abilities.
- Employ a variety of instructional aids, methods and materials that will provide for creative teaching to reach the whole child: spiritual, mental, physical, social and emotional.
- Assess the development and learning of students on a regular basis and provide progress reports as required.
- Maintain regular and accurate attendance records.
- Keep students, parents and administration adequately informed of progress or deficiencies.
- Follow the Matthew 18 principle in dealing with students, parents and administration.
- Attend and participate in scheduled devotional, in-service, faculty and parent meetings.
- Know the procedures for dealing with issues of an emergency nature.
- Inform the Director/Executive Team in a timely manner if unable to fulfill any duty assigned.
- Be in whole-hearted agreement with the school’s Statement of Faith,
- Be a "born-again" Christian who knows the Lord Jesus Christ as Savior (John 3:3, 1 Peter 1:23).
- Be a Christian role model in attitude, speech and action toward others. This includes being committed to God’s biblical standards for sexual conduct.
- Faithfully attend and financially support a local church whose fundamental beliefs are in agreement with the Statement of Faith of this school (Hebrews 10:25).
- Have the spiritual maturity, academic ability and personal leadership qualities to “train up a child in the way he should go.”
- Self motivation
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Attention to detail
- High work standards
- Problem-solving skills
- Decision making
- Learning orientation
- Flexibility and adaptability
Education and Experience
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education or Development OR
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and at least 12 semester hours in Early Childhood Education AND
- Relevant teaching experience as documented in three written references
- Number of people supervised: None
- Work with colleagues in a team-teaching arrangement
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand and walk throughout facility; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; talk, hear and have sufficient vision to allow for active supervision and interaction with students. The employee is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee must lift, hold and/or move up to 45 pounds.